Are you interested in becoming a Youth Combat Marshal? To be warranted, you must:
- Email the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal asking to become a local YC Marshal. Provide your modern and SCA names, mailing address, email, phone, SCA member number and expiration date, and the name of your local SCA group.
- Have an SCA Background Check. If you live in Pennsylvania, you must also have PA Child Abuse and Criminal clearances.
- Be a paid SCA Member.
- Have a recommendation from your local group seneschal, knight marshal, and/or another youth combat marshal
- Go through a training period where you learn the rules and practice working with youth fighters under the supervision of a warranted youth marshal
- Successfully complete a short verbal quiz, which can be administered by any warranted youth marshal.
One of the surest ways to make sure your kids think of the SCA as their hobby, and not just something you drag them to, is to get them involved in SCA activities that they find fun. An excellent way to do that is to start a youth combat program in your group.
You do not need experience as a fighter in the SCA to be a Youth Combat Marshal. Many YC marshals are moms and dads who’ve never worn armor or swung a stick. All you need is the willingness to work with kids and adults, and some enthusiasm to impart to the youth fighters.
To run youth combat practices as part of your shire or barony’s official activities, you must follow these steps:
- Be a paid member of the SCA.
- Get approval from your local Knight Marshal and Seneschal to become your group’s YC Marshal. Have them email their acceptance to the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal, Mistress Arianna of Wynthrope.
- If you wish to be a Youth Marshal but not for a specific SCA group, you can be a Youth Marshal-at-Large. Just have a warranted Youth Marshal or your local group Seneschal email the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal letting her know that they vouch for you.
- Email the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal asking to become a local YC Marshal. Send her the following information:
- SCA Name
- Real Name
- Phone number
- Email address
- SCA membership # and expiration date
- Get an SCA background check.
- After you send the info in step 3 above, the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal will email you the form. It typically takes 4-6 weeks from the time you submit the paperwork for the SCA Corporate office to complete the check. You will receive a letter from the SCA, Inc. letting you know when your background check is approved or rejected.
- If you live in Pennsylvania, get the required PA clearances.
- If you need the Federal FBI Background Check (only required for people who have lived in PA for less than 10 years) in addition to the PA state clearances, save a receipt along with your proof of completion and then fill out this form to be reimbursed for the cost of the FBI check.
- Submit copies of the PA and FBI clearance certificates to the Kingdom Youth Marshal.
- Read the Kingdom Youth Combat Policies.
- Read the Æthelmearc Youth Marshal Handbook.
- Once you pass your background check (and PA clearances, if applicable), get a Marshal-in-Training (MIT) form from the Kingdom Youth Marshal and work under the guidance of a warranted youth marshal to gain experience inspecting armor and weapons, marshaling bouts and melees, and running youth authorizations. Contact Mistress Arianna for information on a warranted marshal near you with whom you can train, or check the list at the bottom of this page.
- Successfully complete a short verbal quiz which can be administered by any warranted youth marshal.
- After completing your training period, getting the required sign-offs on your MIT form, and passing the final quiz, submit the form to the Kingdom Youth Marshal so you can be warranted.
- Send your SCA member number and expiration date to the Earl Marshal and ask be added to the Kingdom Roster of Marshals.
Once you are warranted, you can run practices and marshal tournaments. We appreciate it if local YC Marshals help out with marshaling youth combat at big events like Æthelmearc War Practice and Pennsic, where Æthelmearc traditionally sponsors the popular Youth/Adult Tag Team Tourney. If you’re on Facebook, you might also want to join the Æthelmearc Marshals group. You must also complete quarterly reports. You can also sign up for the AEthelmearc Marshals’ Yahoo Group to receive email reminders when reports are due.
Remember to keep your SCA membership up-to-date, Send renewal information to the Earl Marshal. You must also renew your SCA background check (and PA clearances, if applicable) periodically. Check the expiration dates on all of your clearances, and make sure to begin the renewal process at least two months prior to expiration to allow time for processing.
There are a number of things to learn before you can become a Youth Combat Marshal, but many resources are available to help you. The Society Youth Combat Marshal’s web page has lots of articles with information on how to train youth fighters, marshal tourneys and melees, and make and inspect armor and weapons.
Running a Youth Combat program can be a lot of work, but also very rewarding. If your group has kids interested in learning how to swing a sword, and you’re willing to help them get started, please contact the Æthelmearc Kingdom Youth Marshal, Mistress Arianna of Wynthrope, for more information on how to become a youth marshal.